Presentation – Ch 11 – Marketing and the Arts (PDF)
Marketing & Public Relations
YouTube Channel – Resources on Marketing
YouTube Channel – Resources on Nonprofit Marketing
Introduction to Social Media for Nonprofits (12:40)
Marketing & Public Relations
Americans for the Arts – National Arts Marketing Program
Ten Video Tips for Nonprofits
Nonprofit Website Navigation Optimization Tips
Audience Participation Reports
The NEA published two reports in January 2015 that should prove helpful to arts marketers. The findings could help arts and culture organizations refine and focus their marketing campaigns. The full reports are available at each link as PDFs.
Link to Report 1:
Link to Report 2:
Should Your Listen to the Customer? by Thomas J. DeLong and Vinneta Vijayaraghavan, Harvard Business Review, September 2012, p. 129-133. Reprint case only R1209X. This is a case study of a fictional dance company and how it could go about determining creative choices.
Journal and Magazine Article Resources
The Importance of Word of Mouth for Museums: An Analytical Framework, Andrea Houseman, International Journal of Arts Management, Vol. 14, Number 3, Spring 2012, p. 32-43.
Subscribe to THIS! The subscription model is dead; long live the subscription model, by Jonathan Mandell, American Theatre, November 2012, p. 30
- Joanne Scheff Bernstein, Arts Marketing Insights, San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2007.
- Joanne Scheff Bernstein, Standing Room Only, Marketing Insights for Engaging Performing Arts Audiences, 2nd edition, New York, NY, Palgrave McMillan, 2014.
- Eugene Carr, Sign-Up for Culture — The Arts Marketer’s Guide to Building an Effective E-mail List, 2nd edition, New York, NY, Patron Publishing, 2007.
- Eugene Carr, Michelle Paul, Breaking the Fifth Wall: Rethinking Arts Marketing for the 21st Century, New York, NY, Patron Publishing, 2011.
- François Colbert with the collaboration of Suzanne Bilodeau, Johanne Brunet, Jacques Natel, and J. Dennis Rich, Marketing Culture and the Arts, 3rd edition, Montreal, Canada: HEC, 2007.
- Elizabeth Hill, Terry O’Sullivan, and Catherine O’Sullivan, Creative Arts Marketing, Oxford, England: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2002.
- Beth Kanter, Allison Fine, Randi Zuckerberg, The Networked Nonprofit: Connecting with Social Media to Drive Change, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., San Francisco, CA 2010.
- Beth Kanter, Katie Delahaye Paine, Measuring the Networked Nonprofit: Using Data to Change the World, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., San Francisco, CA, 2012.
- Finola Kerrigan, Peter Fraser, and Mustafa Ozbilgin, Arts Marketing, Burlington, MA: Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann, 2004.
- Neil Kotler, Philip Kotler, Wendy Kotler, Museum Marketing and Strategy, 2nd edition, San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 2008.
- Kivi Lerooux Miller, Content Marketing for Nonprofits, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA, 2013.
- Danny Newman. Subscribe Now! New York: Theatre Communications Group, 1977.
- Ruth Rentschler, Innovative Arts Marketing, Allen & Unwin Publishers, Sydney, Australia, 2002.
- David Meerman Scott, The New Rules of Marketing & PR, 4th edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Hoboken, NJ, 2013.